(SurvivalDaily.com) – People tend to get on edge whenever someone mentions “Martial Law” — with good reason. The idea of losing your freedom is already scary, let alone the fact that it could happen soon. But, just because it might happen doesn’t mean there isn’t anything you can do to prepare. Here’s what you need to know about Martial Law.
What Is Martial Law?
While governments all over the world won’t give you a “set in stone” definition on what Martial Law is, they already have it planned out.
The generally accepted definition is usually as follows:
“Martial law is the imposition of direct military control of normal civilian functions by a government, especially in response to a temporary emergency such as invasion or major disaster, or in an occupied territory.”
Is Military Law Really Possible?
Countries like North Korea exist in a constant state of martial law due to their governments and the way they function. That extreme example may sound like something that would never happen here, but don’t think for a second that it’s impossible. In fact, it already has, albeit briefly.
The government was forced to declare martial law in 2005 during the Hurricane Katrina disaster. It was the only way to prevent looters from running rampant and for local authorities to regain control over the streets without putting people at risk. Granted, there is a big difference between Korea’s martial law and that of the 2005 Hurricane Katrina disaster.
However, the core idea remains the same: implement absolute military authority. With the state of the world, it doesn’t seem like a matter of “if” it will happen, but “when.” And, when it does, our lives will likely never be the same again.
Why Military Law is Scary
At first glance military law might seem sensible — after all, isn’t it about keeping people safe? Yes. But there are considerable drawbacks to the associated loss of freedom.
A call for martial law is almost always a sign that America’s collapse is either possible or imminent. Those in power always want to preserve their control over the population. They aren’t going to let go easily and it might take an iron fist for them to keep that power.
Many things would change under martial law. Some will be activities and routines you’d regret taking for granted, such as the ability to leisurely shop for what you need. What’s even more concerning is the near-total loss of civil liberties — no fair trials, no mercy, and frankly, a possibility that you’ll be executed for breaking the law.
What You Should Do
In the event martial law is placed in your area, the first thing you should do is make sure you’re prepared. The best way to do this is to secure your essentials and necessities in advance.
- Shelter: This is a big one. Whether you choose to stay in your home or not is up to you. However, there are options; you can reinforce your home, move to a bug out area, or live off-grid in a tent in the wilderness.
- Water: Obviously, this is going to be on every person’s list. Try to stock up in advance and at least have water purification tablets available. Water is essential to our survival and bugging out means you’ll have to supply water for yourself.
- Food: Stock food whenever it’s possible to do so. Learning how to garden is useful whether you’re in the city or in the wild. Foraging and hunting are ideal skills to have if you’re on the go.
- Medicine: A good first aid kit is always a vital part of any preppers stockpile. Be sure to try stock up on medicines you, and anyone else you’re taking with you, need. Keep at least three months of any critical prescriptions on hand. Be sure to have a small stockpile of cold and flu medicines, painkillers, and allergy medicines, too.
Less “necessary” (yet useful) options include:
- Survival gear such as rope, tools, and cookware
- Guns and ammo to help with self-defense or hunting
- Knowledge about survival basics (books, guides, etc.)
- A well-practiced escape plan in case something goes wrong
- A healthy body because staying in shape just might save you if you have to run
Join a Group or Remain Alone?
Whatever you do, try your best to lay low. This is your best chance of survival. Don’t go causing trouble or making scenes — instead, blend in with the crowd. If your house gets searched, cooperate and be respectful! Don’t give the police or military a reason to focus on you. Military court and jail is the last place you want to be in a crisis.
You can make a group or even join a faction, but always remember that you can’t really trust anyone in a survival situation. People can, and will, betray you if the conditions encourage it. Generally speaking, however, being part of a group is good because there is strength in numbers.
The government or local authorities might set up camps to hold people that don’t follow instructions. It’s in your best interest to avoid going there for you and your family’s sake. There’s no guarantee you’ll ever see them again once you enter those gates. If you are seized, do your best to follow orders until you can escape or you’re set free.
Martial law is a very real threat — one that very well could come one day. It may not be today… it may not even be for another 100 years. But plan as if it WILL come within your lifetime.
Teach yourself the necessary skills to survive while you have the time. Knowledge is the ultimate weapon; it will help you prepare you for anything. Learn, train, and adapt if you want to survive the day martial law should ever be thrust upon us.
Do you think it is likely that the United States will see martial law in the future? Reply to your email and share your thoughts, we would love to hear from you!
Copyright 2021, SurvivalDaily.com